Wednesday 16 March 2011

There's No Place Like Home

So! I know I said in my last blog post that I would post again within the next couple of days - which I promptly didn't do. I know many of you have probably been wondering what's the hip-hap-a-happening, but I simply haven't known myself, so I was at a bit of a loss as to what to tell the REST of the world.

So here goes. Much much much has been happening the last 2 weeks. So I will start at the ... end! I am now living with my first host family again - Janina, Georg and the kids, and I have officially moved here for good. To cut a long story short, basically everyone agreed that we should do what we could to make me happy and comfortable again, which has been quite a long road, but hopefully it's going to just be getting better from here! So it was decided that I go back to Vienna and we sort things out from there.

The last night at my host family's house in Salzburg was actually really nice. I had spent a few days at my area rep's flat, just to sort some stuff out and talk, but I also got to wander around Salzburg a little, and I'm really glad I got to say a proper goodbye - both to the city and my host family. That night we went to a really lovely Italian pizzeria and had a nice little farewell for me. We have decided to keep in contact (which is great!), and I'm glad I could finish my stay there on a positive note! I will miss the area and the school, the friends I made, Salzburg, and a number of aspects of my host family, but ultimately I think I will be more comfortable and happier here. Having a place to really call home is an immense relief, and I feel like I can finally and really start my exchange. I guess that sounds kind of funny, since I've already been here for more than two months now, but I had my "temporary" family first, then I never quite felt at home in Salzburg, then these last two weeks I've been in a kind of 'limbo', so now I'll finally be able to settle down. Hurrah!

I always like to have a picture of something in my blog post, just to make things a little more interesting. So to finish this post off, I'll end with this. I found this on a website, and I thought it was just so suitable:

What about Dorothy? She just wanted to go home. She knew there was no place like it. It was what she longed for and searched for. In vain she followed that yellow brick road. All she found along the way was trouble, a wicked witch, flying monkeys, magic spells, and not a moment of peace. The power to go home was within her all the time, on her feet, those shiny, red shoes.
I suggest you take a look at the rest of this article here, because it is simply lovely and sums things up well. I will be trying to post more often (Really! I mean it this time!!), so stay tuned. Over and out for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment