Wednesday 26 January 2011

To Buggery With My Immune System... (plus NEWSSS!!!)



What's this?! Spoilt! Two posts, two days in a row! But I do have some NEWSSS.

As my previous host family was really only a 'temporary host family' (which I did know, but some of you may not have), the exchange organisation continued looking for a family who would like to keep me for the whole year. So they found one!! My new family will be in the wonderful, beautiful, grand state of SALZBURG!!! HOME OF MOZART, THE SOUND OF MUSIC AND THIS MCDONALDS:


Note - one of the only McDonalds without its hideous 'golden arches' slathered everywhere for miles around due to heritage requirements...

With all this being said however, I will be staying in a little town called 'Henndorf am Wallersee', about 20 mins outside the city centre. Because I like having a theme with my little Austrian towns starting with 'H' 20 mins outside the city centre...

Also, this is something I found on a review of someone's trip to Salzburg, which amused me:
"You don't as much fly into Salzburg as drop in. The WA Mozart airport [Note by me - yes, Salzburg's Airport is called Mozart. I mean, can a town get any cooler?] is encircled by mountains, looming ominously out of the dark. One imagines that during the day the white slopes are thick with skiers, hikers, abseilers and lines of von Trapp wannabes, dusted with snowflakes that grow on your nose and eyelashes, looking for that lonely goatherd or a clump of edelweiss."
I, however, will not be flying, but training. Hmm. Maybe training isn't the right word either. But that will take about 3 hours, and I leave on Saturday. All very quickly and sudden, but it was going to happen some time.

Now onto some OLD news.
Some of you may have heard that I was sick within the first few days of my arrival, and some of you may not have, but here's an entertaining read for you all, which clarifies exactly (kind of) what happened to me! Before I start though, I'm sick again (something my entire host family except Georg has had), and so didn't go to school the last two days, but did today, and am slowly getting better. 

SO. The day was Tuesday 11/1/11 (what a lovely date...)

I went to my new school to meet the principal and get my timetable etc, and we decided that I should start the next day. Then Janina, Freya and I went to get my bus pass. We left the car at Carl’s school, got the tram to the train station, got some kind of paperwork at train station, then went to bank to pay for the pass. I had a really bad 'stomach ache' and had forgotten water, so I bought water and I took some nurofen, assuming it would be ok after that. We got the train to subway, and went and got the actual pass. When I walked out I REALLY didn’t feel good and threw up in a bin. I felt a bit better and cleaned myself up etc, then we caught the subway back again. When we got off I felt worse, so sat down on a chair and waited for a bit. I tried to get up and moving, and we got into the elevator, but after that I remember swaying and people catching me. 

I don’t actually remember getting out of the elevator but remember being pushed up against a wall, then getting laid down. It was the weirdest feeling ever, totally losing control like that. I had EXCRUCIATING pain in my stomach. So there I was, crying and moaning, but a guy who helped catch me in the elevator put his hand under my head and was very comforting. It was pretty chaotic, especially with all the Austrians around. It would be bad enough in English! So Janina rang an ambulance, while a bunch of people helped, but I don't really remember a lot.

The ambulance came, and the paramedics put me in a chair (much to my discomfort) and wheeled me through the station, up another elevator to the ambulance. One of the paramedics could speak a bit of English, so that was pretty good. It felt like forever before we actually left. They put a cannula in my arm with painkillers –  a needle was the last thing I wanted at that point, though the painkillers helped.

So blah blah blah hospital. Damn they are boring places... Even worse than airports. I waited and waited and waited, and eventually they took some blood, took an ultrasound, and other wonderful hospitally things.

Basically in the end, I spent about a total of 8 hours in hospital, only to find out that they didn't know what was wrong with me, but it hurt. Disappointing that I couldn't have a diagnosis, but they think it may have been a slight intestine infection/a combination of cold/stress/change/Austria/goodness knows what. But I'll go with the first one, because it's more interesting!

However, after it all, I can say that I collapsed in the middle of a Viennese subway station in my gap yah and got taken to hospital by ambulance. I felt a lot better by the end of the week, but as I said, I have been sick (with more of a cold) again the last few days, which is a bummer...

So now you know the tale, and NOT TO WORRY, because I'm still alive, and don't plan on collapsing again any time soon (at least not until I need something interesting to do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment